Key Tips For Reducing Water Damage
Important Water Damage Response Tips:
Our team at SERVPRO of Burlington/Middlebury will always be there for you in a pinch. However, we want to make sure that you have all the tips and tools you need to help minimize the damage and keep yourself safe before we arrive. Please keep in mind that these tips are only for Category 1 water situations, which is water that originates from a sanitary source and poses no substantial risk from dermal, ingestion, or inhalation exposure.
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the home/building when access to the power panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove excess water by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpeting.
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time if not properly mitigated. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. If you have any questions or need help to ensure your property is drying properly, contact SERVPRO of Burlington/Middlebury at (802) 497-1101.